Parsed references are those that Edifix has successfully broken down into their component parts. For example, when Edifix parses the following sample reference:
1. Molter C, O'Neill J, Yamaguchi Y, et al. Rhythmic modulation of theta oscillations supports encoding of spatial and behavioral information in the hippocampus. Neuron. 2012;75:887-3
Edifix identifies Molter as the first author's surname, C as the first author's initial, Neuron as the journal title, 75 as the volume number, and so on.
Parsing is the first step before Edifix restructures the reference into the editorial style you selected.
Here's how Edifix handles reference entries for different types of sources:
- Journal articles are parsed and restructured.
- Books are usually parsed and restructured.
- Book chapters are usually parsed and restructured.
- Conference papers are usually parsed but are not restructured.
- Preprints are parsed but not restructured.
- Data citations are parsed but not restructured. Data citations almost always have a DOI provided by the author, and Edifix validates the DOI.
- Websites are at least partially parsed (authors, title, year, and URL) and are not restructured.
- Legal materials such as legislation and jurisprudence are never parsed or restructured.
- Dissertations are at least partially parsed (author, title, year) and are not restructured.
- Working papers are at least partially parsed (author, title, year) and are not restructured.
Any entry that Edifix recognizes as a parsable reference type, but can’t fully parse for some reason, will also be parsed as much as possible. Because these entries are not restructured, they will show up gray in your results.
Any entry that Edifix does not recognize as any of the above types will be partially parsed and will not be restructured. They will show up gray in your results.
When PubMed Correction and PMID Linking is checked, Edifix attempts to link all journal references to PubMed.
When Crossref Correction and DOI Linking is checked, Edifix attempts to link all references, regardless of type, to Crossref. If the original reference included a DOI, Edifix will verify the DOI and insert a comment if the DOI is registered with an agency other than Crossref (e.g., DataCite) or if the DOI cannot be verified as registered with any registration agency.
(Note: a reference that Edifix has restructured and/or linked is billable and will be deducted from your reference allowance.)
|Book chapter||Yes||Yes||If possible||Yes|
|Conference paper||Yes||No||If possible||If linked|
|Working paper||No||No||If possible||If linked|
|Preprint||Yes||No||If possible||If linked|
|Data||Yes||No||If possible||If linked|